Friday, March 27, 2009

Salikeri Habba

My dad is from a place called Salikeri, a village in the interiors of Brahmavara, which is a small city situated near the popular city called Udupi.

A Habba means festival in Kannada. A festival is a reason for village people to get together and have many rituals performed to the village god. A festival is a reason for happiness, joy, games, fun and frolics. For many of the villagers, it also a reason to buy new goods, new clothes, new ornaments. It runs for a day, a minimum and goes on till the festive feelings begins to deteriorate.

Just a few a days back, I got the opportunity to attend Salikeri Habba and I’m sure I would have regretted it if I hadn’t come for it. I have never seen the village, I visit every now and then, so crowded and lit up at all. The music, the prayers, the crowd was really vibrant and shocking for once. The village parade was another sight that I loved and enjoyed especially the huge massive dolls, the local bands, and the chariot.

Another awesome feeling was the giant wheel. It really feels amazing and awesome. I always felt that it would be crap until actually sitting in it. The speed it went on was simply enthralling and no words could explain the feelings.

Another high point is the ice creams. Its summer at the present moment, so the amount ice cream we ate was simply amazing, totally amazing.

It simply was awesome. If you ever get an opportunity to attend such fests, don’t miss out.

Sorry about the photos, but I actually captured a huge video about the festival. The pictures below were just snapshots of the video.